1 the basis on which something is grounded; "there is little foundation for his objections"
2 an institution supported by an endowment
3 the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture" [syn: basis, base, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone]
4 lowest support of a structure; "it was built on a base of solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower" [syn: base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure]
5 education or instruction in the fundamentals of a field of knowledge; "he lacks the foundation necessary for advanced study"; "a good grounding in mathematics" [syn: grounding]
6 a woman's undergarment worn to give shape to the contours of the body [syn: foundation garment]
7 the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new; "she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"; "the foundation of a new scientific society"; "he regards the fork as a modern introduction" [syn: initiation, founding, institution, origination, creation, innovation, introduction, instauration]
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of founding, fixing, establishing,
or beginning to erect.
- The foundation of his institute has been wrought with difficulty.
- That upon which anything is founded; that on which anything stands, and by which it is supported; the lowest and supporting layer of a superstructure; groundwork; basis.
- The lowest and supporting part or member of a wall, including
the base course (see Base course (a), under Base, n.) and footing
courses; in a frame house, the whole substructure of masonry.
- The foundations of this construction have been laid out.
- A donation or legacy appropriated to support a charitable institution, and constituting a permanent fund; endowment.
- That which is founded, or established by endowment; an endowed
institution or charity.
- The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is the parent organization of the Wiktionary collaborative project.
act of founding
that upon which anything is founded
lowest and supporting part or member of a wall
- Finnish: perustus
- Sindhi: ,
legacy constituting a permanent fund of charitable institution
- Finnish: peruspääoma
endowed institution or charity
Foundation may refer to:
- Foundation (engineering), the portion of a building's structure that transfers the weight of the building into the ground
- Foundation (cosmetics), a cosmetic applied to the face
Foundation (nonprofit organization), a legal categorization of
- Private foundation, legal entity founded by a private individual
- Public charity, which has the word Foundation in its name
- Waqf, an inalienable religious endowment in Islam, often translated in English with Foundation
- List of charitable foundations, a list of foundations that support or provide philanthropic activities.
- List of wealthiest foundations, an annotated list of the largest foundations and other charitable organizations, organised by country and size of financial endowment.
- Foundation (evidence), sufficient preliminary evidence for the admissibility of further evidence
- Foundation Degree, a vocational qualification available in England
- FOUNDATION fieldbus, an industrial standard for a fieldbus control system
- University Foundation Programme, a year of preparation for international students before beginning a degree
- Foundation (novel) of the Foundation series, a series of books written by Isaac Asimov
- The Foundation (Seinfeld episode), an episode of the TV series Seinfeld
- La fundación (The Foundation), a 1974 play written by Antonio Buero Vallejo
- Foundation - The International Review of Science Fiction, an academic journal
- The Foundations, a British soul group
- The Roots (aka The Foundation), an American hip-hop group
- Foundation (album), a 1998 album by rap group Brand Nubian
- The Foundation (album), a 2005 album by The Geto Boys
- "Foundations" (song), a 2007 song by indie singer Kate Nash
- "The Foundation" (song), a 1996 song by rapper Xzibit
foundation in Catalan: Fundació (desambiguació)
foundation in German: Foundation
foundation in Spanish: Fundación
foundation in French: Fondation
foundation in Indonesian: Fondasi
foundation in Italian: Fondazione
foundation in Dutch: Foundation
foundation in Japanese: ファウンデーション
foundation in Portuguese: Fundação (desambiguação)
foundation in Turkish: Vakıf
A, a priori principle, affirmation, alpha, anchorage, appanage, apriorism, arrangement, assertion, assumed position, assumption, axiom, basal, base, baseboard, basement, basic, basic training, basis, bearing wall, bed, bedding, bedrock, beginning, blast-off, bottom, briefing, call, categorical proposition, cause, cellar, chassis, clearing the decks, clown white, cold cream, colonization, commencement, compact, constitution, cosmetics, creation, cutting edge, dado, data, dawn, dot, dower, dowry, drugstore complexion, edge, effectuation, endowment, equipment, establishment, eye shadow, eyebrow pencil, familiarization, first principles, fixation, fixing, floor, flooring, flying start, fond, foot, footing, formation, foundation cream, foundational, founding, frame, fresh start, fundament, fundamental, good reason, greasepaint, ground, grounds, groundwork, hand cream, hand lotion, hardpan, hypothesis, hypothesis ad hoc, inauguration, inception, infrastructure, initiation, installation, installment, institute, instituting, institution, investiture, investment, jointure, jump-off, keel, kick-off, leading edge, legal jointure, lemma, lip rouge, lipstick, lodgment, major premise, makeready, makeup, making ready, manufacture, marriage portion, mascara, material basis, materialization, minor premise, mobilization, mooring, mopboard, mudpack, nadir, nail polish, new departure, oncoming, onset, opening, organization, organizing, origin, origination, outbreak, outset, paint, pavement, peopling, philosopheme, philosophical proposition, pillar, planning, plantation, population, portion, position, postulate, postulation, postulatum, powder, powder puff, prearrangement, preliminaries, preliminary, preliminary act, preliminary step, premise, prep, preparation, preparatory study, preparing, prepping, prerequisite, presupposition, pretreatment, primary, principle, processing, propaedeutic, proposition, propositional function, provision, puff, purpose, radical, raison d'etre, rationale, readying, realization, reason, rest, right, riprap, rock, rock bottom, rouge, rudiment, running start, seat, send-off, setting in motion, setting-up, settlement, settling, shoemold, sill, sole, solid ground, solid rock, spadework, square one, start, start-off, starting point, statement, stereobate, stylobate, substance, substratum, substruction, substructure, sumption, supposal, take-off, talcum, talcum powder, terra firma, theorem, thesis, thirds, toe, tower, training, treatment, trial, truth table, truth-function, truth-value, tryout, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, underlying, underpinning, understruction, understructure, vanishing cream, vanity case, wainscot, war paint, warm-up, warrant